Date for Your Diary: Launch of the DFI Pre-Budget Submission 2007
September 23 2007, 09:02am
Location: Oak Room of the Mansion House 3rd October 2007 at 12 noon
The Estimates and Budget 2008 is the first opportunity for the new Government to demonstrate their commitment to people with disabilities. DFI recognises that important steps have been made in the Programme for Government to progress the National Disability Strategy (NDS) and to review the Cost of Disability Issue. This must now be converted into action and cannot take place without the allocation of adequate resources year on year.
In our submission, we have identified five priority actions to be progressed in the Estimates and Budget 2008. They are:
- To set aside €20m to address the ongoing issue of core funding deficits among DFI membership organisations;
- To deliver the commitment that 'for each year of the Programme for Government, it will set out the objectives and outcomes to be reached in the NDS' (Government of Ireland, 2007:33);
- To establish clear budget lines in Estimates and Budget 2008 to identify funding directed to disability specific services and separately to mainstream services;
- To commit €5m to fund the establishment of a Resource Support Centre to build capacity of voluntary disability organisations.
- To progress the implementation of the Cost of Disability Payment.
The actions we have identified are the essential building blocks to commence the implementation of the NDS and to deliver the commitments made to people with disabilities in the Programme for Government. In Estimates and Budget 2008 we will state that 'it should be seen as central to the many submissions made by voluntary disability organisations'. I hope that you can attend the event and help to make it a success. This is also an important opportunity for your organisations to make contact with members of the Oireachtas either on the day or locally.
The launch of our Pre-Budget Submission 'Delivering the Commitment: Estimates and Budget 2008' will take place in Oak Room of the Dublin Mansion House on 3rd October 2007 at 12.00 noon.
To confirm your attendance please contact Mairéad Holohan at firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Pre-Budget Submission 2008' in the subject line or phone (01) 4547978 by 26th September 2007.