Disability Profile - Tipperary
Issued on October 9 2018
Disability Profile: County Tipperary
15% of the population of Tipperary, or 23,593 people have at least one disability.
Their age profile is:
15 – 24 1757
25 – 44 3989
45 – 64 6973
Type of Disability
People in Tipperary reported having the following types of disabilities and conditions:
A difficulty with pain, breathing, or any other chronic illness or condition
Difficulties with basic physical activities
Deafness or serious hearing impairment
Blindness or a serious vision impairment
- 32% did not progress beyond primary education compared to 14% of the general population.
- Only 18% had completed upper secondary compared to 22% of the general population.
- Only 12% had completed further education compared to 17% of the general population.
- Only 15% had completed higher level education compared to 28% of the general population.
- 19% of people who have a disability were at work compared to 51% of the general population.
- 21% of people who have a disability did not have access to a car or van compared to 10% of the general population.
- 15% of people who have a disability lived in social housing compared to 10% of the general population.
 Primary and less includes no formal education, further education includes vocational/technical certificate and advanced certificate/ completed apprenticeship, higher education includes Higher Certificate, Ordinary/Honours Bachelor, Postgraduate Diploma/Degree, and Doctorate. Data based on special tabulation from CSO and Statbank.
 % of total education ceased and not ceased, and for people aged 15 years and over.
 Data is for highest level of education completed for people with a disability whose education has ceased.
 People aged 15 years and over, who were renting from a Local Authority or a Voluntary Body.