DFI works to influence the legislation and policies that affect the lives of people with disabilities.
We do this by:
- Working with our member organisations, people with disabilities and stakeholders on policy issues
- Writing policy papers and supporting social research
- Making submissions to government departments and agencies
- Working with other groups who are interested in disability issues internationally, nationally and locally
- Organising seminars and conferences to inform DFIs position on key policy issues
Our policy work informs out representation on a wide range of structures and engagements including with:
- Health Service Exceptive (HSE)
- Local Government (click here for our Disability and Community site)
- With national government departments and agencies
- At EU level
In 2018 Ireland ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD). DFI’s policy and research work is framed by the UN CRPD and Ireland’s commitment to people with disabilities.
The UN CRPD covers a wide range of areas including:
- Independent living