Disability Profile - Cavan
Issued on October 9 2018
Disability Profile: County Cavan
13% of the population of Cavan, or 9,508 people have at least one disability.
Their age profile is:
15 – 24 684
25 – 44 1,663
45 – 64 2,735
Type of Disability
People in Cavan reported having the following types of disabilities and conditions:
A difficulty with pain, breathing, or any other chronic illness or condition
Difficulties with basic physical activities
Deafness or serious hearing impairment
Blindness or a serious vision impairment
- 39% did not progress beyond primary education compared to 18% of the general population.
- Only 14% had completed upper secondary compared to 19% of the general population.
- Only 14% had completed further education compared to 20% of the general population.
- Only 14% had completed higher level education compared to 26% of the general population.
- 20% of people who have a disability were at work compared to 52% of the general population.
- 20% of people who have a disability did not have access to a car or van compared to 8% of the general population.
- 13% of people who have a disability lived in social housing compared to 8% of the general population.
 Primary and less includes no formal education, further education includes vocational/technical certificate and advanced certificate/ completed apprenticeship, higher education includes Higher Certificate, Ordinary/Honours Bachelor, Postgraduate Diploma/Degree, and Doctorate. Data based on special tabulation from CSO and Statbank.
 % of total education ceased and not ceased and for people aged 15 years and over.
 Data is for highest level of education completed for people with a disability whose education has ceased.
 People aged 15 years and over, who were renting from a Local Authority or a Voluntary Body.